Over two months in Kathmandu....love hate relationship with this city, especially in the monsoon. Seems to make the streets extra busy, noisy, polluted and dirty. We did a count and counted 45 beeps of car and bike horns per minute. The last week the sun has started to shine in between the rain and its amazing how different things look in the sun. I was thinking that I'm not sure I can survive in this city for very long, but when I really think of some of the moments we have been having in the last 2 months, it drives me on.
One of the moments was seeing 2 of the street young people our project supported with their photography get their taxi driving licences. But actually yesterday I was even prouder I think. Going down to Pashupati which is the cremation site in Nepal and walking amongst the burning bodies, breathing in the smoke from the fires and getting covered in human ash, we found one of
the young people we have supported. There he was wading in the river with a shovel bringing up silt looking for the coins and jewellery fallen from the bodies into the river. He was working so hard in that river trying to provide for his wife and his two boys.
It was Teej yesterday so the temple was bursting with women, queues of thousands of women in red trailed back out of the temple and far down the road waiting to make an offering to god for a good future. As far I understand Teej (which I realise is very little), the women fast and go to temple wearing red which is a lucky colour and also the colour they wear on their marriage day. If they are married
they ask for a long future with a husband and if they are unmarried they ask for a good husband to come soon. To be a widow here is a terrible burden and can mean being a complete curse to others and leave many woman a complete outcast. I heard the government had tried a new scheme where men receive a payment to marry a widow, supposedly to try and stop women being outcasts and giving them another chance but women are uprising against this. The women waited in the queue for several hours in the heat and many spent the day dancing with fervour to the sounds of Nepali beats. It was a beautiful display of sisterhood.
p.s I've being trying to upload some pics but the internet is too slow so it keeps failing so i'm giving up...will add more later